1. Had you been to Kolkata, I would have also gone.
2. This news was broadcast from All India Radio yesterday.
3. The pick pocket was arrested and his pockets were searched.
Explanation: The sentence is a combination of two sentences, or we can say the sentence shows two actions in the past tense, i.e.
(a) The pick pocket was arrested.
(b) His pockets searched.
In part (b) of the sentence, we find that the helping word is missing. Since the subject is plural and the tense is past, we have to use were to complete the sentence.
4. Ten were killed and one was taken prisoner.
5. Hinduism has been in existence from time immemorial.
6. I have never abused and will never abuse your bother.
Copyright © 2011. perfectenglishspeaking.com | All Rights Reserved